Desire to return

For a summary of findings, look at the main findings page.

SIGNIFICANCES (in brackets) AND COEFFICIENTS[in square brackets]:

Explanation- Significance tests how strong a correlation the independent variable has to the dependent variable. Coefficient tests how the dependent variable changes with an increase of one point on the independent variable.

As you can see, job, moral duty and making a difference are all statistically significant at the 0.1 (10%) threshold.

Job – [-0.04], (0.067) one point increase in job importance creates -0.04 points in desire to come home. Significance of 0.067.

Moral Duty – [0.036], (0.059)

Making a difference – [-0.115] (most drastic effect because making a difference is ranked on a scale of 1-5, so the real effect is doubled to -0.230), (0.033)

Low r-squared value: these three factors only account for 13% of the variation in the dependent factor. In other words, many other factors not included in this regression make up the other 87% of the decision.

ANOVA significance at 0.003 level (very strong significance).

4 Responses to Desire to return

  1. cheryl says:

    hi there. really interesting work you’re doing. um, i have no real background in numbers or economics (beyond spm), would you mind turning these findings into some prose?

  2. evelynswwong says:

    Hi Cheryl, the prose stuff is on the main findings page – this page is just for those who have a deep love of regressions and statistics 🙂

  3. Ben Numpang says:

    Quick question Evelyn, the p-value cut-off you used as threshold for significance was 0.1. I’m used to seeing p-value cut-offs of 0.05 in the medical and biological fields. It wouldn’t really change your results, but I am just curious, is the cut off p-value of 0.1 standard in social sciences research?

    Ben

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s